Pressed to explain that context scenarios don’t just come out of thin air — I put together a list of questions we need to have answered before we can write some narratives about users solving their problems….
So pull up a chair with your favorite stakeholder and start digging in…..
(the goal for this interview is to elicit enough information to derive a set of context scenarios to begin elaborating)Product (or Project) Name:
Who is being interviewed?
Who is doing the interviewing?
- What is THE primary business objectives (for our company) for the product — ( the number one reason why it did or should be funded?) :
Other business objectives for the product?:
- Please identify the main business problem for our primary buyer you hope to solve by offering this product.
- Please identify the main business problem for our primary user you hope to solve by offering this product.
- How do you plan to measure the business success of this product?
- Known Business requirements?
- Known Technical requirements?
- Key differentiators that will make us successful?
List all the different types of users you think will interact directly (configure, view data, generate reports) with this feature / function / product.
List all the different types of users you think will interact indirectly (get reports, tell people to do something with…) with this feature / function / product.
For each direct (and indirect) user, do as many of these as necessary:
From your perspective, describe user type ____________ interaction:
- What is this user’s primary goal?
- Is this a critical goal for them? For us?
- What does success look like for them (when they are finished using this feature/function/product what have they accomplished?)
- What feature(s) are they using to accomplish what they set out to accomplish ?
- How long do they spend meeting their goal?
- How much time elapses before they use this feature, function again?
- How frequently are they using this feature/function to accomplish this goal?
- Is this something they are currently doing?
- How are they doing it now?
- How you think they would like to be able to do it?
Repeat questions 2-10 for another goal…..Have Fun!